12.5.10

Busy with a few creative things...

 

 

 

 


It is official. I am living the true life of an artist. I have been busy at work painting and drawing, getting new ideas and exploring what is next for me in my painting-- as much as I can squeeze in between working, interviewing for the summer, getting ready to actually start working full time at the Y, and also looking for teaching jobs-- and trying to keep up with all of the wonderful people in my life. BUT-- I think I am a bit more of a legitimage artist considering I am waiting for my next paycheck so I can buy some more cadmium yellow. I feel like Monet on a rainy day. Sad sad sad. Itching.

Nevertheless, I am excited about some of the things coming out of me. I am exploring some new colors, really trying to push myself to use more whites, or at least trying to venture up to the higher end of the value scale. I am finding myself needing to remind myself to be very aware of the importance of dynamic choices in terms of amounts in color and value. I am pleased with the way things are coming out. I am exploring a lot with fibers, getting really exciting about what I can do with fabric. I have also noticed a bit of a shift in the scenes I am compelled to paint since moving here closer to the foothills. The images that continually come to mind are less about plains meeting mountains and more about mountains meeting mountins, the valleys and hills that seem to crumple like blankets, ready to enfold. I've been thinking a lot more about cells, about plants, about what growth looks like on paper, on canvas. interesting ideas that haev not yet been fully explored... perhaps more will come.

I have been thinking and dreaming a lot about where life is going. At this point, things feel a bit scattered-- I am stretched, arms wide, between a lot of different things. Trying to figure out what my passions for kids and teaching are leading, how that is all going to play out in this economy that seems to have sucker-punched education right in the gut. I am happy to be wtih kids at the Y, but am really longing to be doing something more with all of this creativity, all of this strength, all of this ability that is just screaming to get out of me. The job market is quite bleak and I feel like I could be doing so much more-- but it is so much a matter of waiting, of patience, of letting my life develop as it does, walking deeper into the woods, reading more words, letting experience build upon experience. But the day will be coming, indeed, it is surely on its way! It is just a matter of continuing on. Continuing the walk, continuing the search.... getting up each day and doing a little at a time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: