14.6.08

Convincing students that reading is worth the work...

This summer I find myself working for the school district's ELA department as a 1:1 Tutor for a sixth grade boy. When I found out that I actually got the job, I was excited about the opportunity but am now seeing why a majority of the people hired for this position are ELA certified teachers: this is hard work and requires a lot of brilliance AND resources.

It has been interesting to see all that I have read in literacy books about students who are a) reluctant to read b) don't understand the letters they are decoding and c) don't see the value in learning to read, materialize in the form of this exuberant boy.

I find myself having to make the decision between laughing and crying when my student explains all the tactics he has developed just to avoid reading. If he wants to know what a news article is about-- even if it is something of interest to him-- he simply finds the one with the most pictures. If he wants to use the family's video camera, he simply asks his brother to explain it. If an error message comes up on the computer, he would rather take the risk of loosing his work than reading and understanding the message. What to do?

When I attended the two hour training session before I met with this student(which, unsurprisingly, was dominated by instructions on how to administer pre and post exams), they told us that for the duration of the eight to ten hours a week we spend with the student should be dominated by practice in reading, but should not feel like school. So what do you do with a student for three hours a day that will do anything to avoid reading? To say the least, I think we both find the time equally excruciating.

So what to do? How do I help this boy understand that reading is a beautiful and essential skill to hold? When I left his kitchen on Wednesday, he was fairly upset about my weekend homework assignment: finding one piece of reading material that was both school appropriate and something he would be interesting in reading. Somehow he gave me the impression that such a request would be unreasonable.

So... I don't even know if people read this blog, but if you do and you have any ideas about activities that might interest an eleven-year-old boy who wants so badly to be about 17, but unfortunately is quite intimidated by the sight of text, please share your ideas. I know that this scenario is not unique nor unusual, so please do share your own experiences. I'm looking forward to learning a great deal this summer, but am still waiting out the learning curve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've heard it before but truly finding something he enjoys and identifies with can truly make all the world of difference. Then let him pick a book to read. For many students their reluctance to read is more of a reluctance of compliance. By allowing them to choose what they read will be just enough to get them in the book. Hope this helps a little!