16.6.08

Literacy Resource 1: Board Games

All though right now I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the challenge of my tutoring assignment for the summer, I imagine that by the end of the season, I'll have built a bit of a repertoire of resources and I think I will post them here as I discover them.

This morning, in a flash of genius and desperation, I remembered all the times that I've been told that board games are excellent resources to keep in the classroom for down-time or time fillers and realized that perhaps using fun as a purpose for reading, I might get this student motivated after all. After coming to this realization, I then remembered that the only games that I own personally are Scrabble and Balderdash. True, these are both reading games, but are not quite appropriate for this student. And then-- my third memory-- I have little to no Money.

So I ventured out to my favorite local thrift store and was shocked at the selection of games that they carried. I came away with at least a few really great games for about five dollars. And the best part? The time flew by as we did Mad Libs, played scrabble and made our own sentences with wood blocks. As soon as I emerged from my car with arms full of games, I could tell from his eyes that it was going to be a good day.

Never underestimate the power of a good game...

No comments: