16.6.08

Literacy Resource 2: Spooky and Disgusting Fiction

In attempt to build my literacy experience further, I ventured out to the local library to seek the help of a children's librarian and was brought back to the middle school world of Goosebumps and Captain Underpants. When the librarian brought up these books, I remembered being 12 and not being allowed to read such literature being instructed by my mother to stay away from things so disgusting and ugly. But the librarian was very adamant about how popular the books were with her own children, who refused to read before discovering the thrillers.

I'm sure at some point in even my own middle school life, I disdained literature written for 12-year-olds as juvenile and unsophisticated, but am now gaining a new appreciation for the genre and the authors who wok hard at creating wonderful plots in simple language.

So, I am not sure if these books are yet too intimidating for the student I am working with, but I feel more confident about presenting some material that is at his level in hope that he may yet be enticed by it.

What sorts of books have you used successfully with reluctant readers?

No comments: